Federal Stormwater Policy Update – September 2020
In a YouTube video update, WEF’s Legislative Director, Steve Dye, and the National Municipal Stormwater Alliance’s Executive Director, Seth Brown, provide an overview of activities at the federal level around stormwater policy, including the Economic Stimulus Package, America’s Water Infrastructure Act of 2020, and FY21 Appropriations.
WEF Comments on Proposed 2020 Multi-Sector General Permit
Earlier this year, EPA sought public comment on a proposed 2020 National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) for stormwater discharges from industrial activity. WEF submitted comments to EPA on June 1st, available here.
Water Week 2020 – Stormwater Events
Stormwater Asks for Water Week 2020 Webcast
Water Week 2020 and the National Water Policy Fly-In were held virtually this year. To prepare for potential meetings with your Members of Congress, the WEF Stormwater Institute hosted a webcast on Monday, April 20th to explain and discuss the stormwater specific asks in the 2020 Recommendations to Improve the Stormwater Program in the U.S. document. View previous versions of the document at the bottom of this page.
A general Water Week preparation webcast was hosted on Wednesday, April 22nd. View the webcast recording here.
Stormwater Policy Forum Webcasts – Parts 1 and 2
During Water Week 2020, WEF’s Stormwater Institute virtually hosted the fourth annual Stormwater Policy Forum. Listen to the recordings below to hear the latest on legislative and regulatory updates as well as policy trends and emerging topics. You’ll hear from federal, state and local officials on a variety of topics including agriculture/stormwater nexus dynamics, efforts focusing on stormwater funding/financing issues, nation-wide research efforts focused on stormwater runoff characteristics, and updates on legal rulings in the stormwater/MS4 sector. Priorities and initiatives from the state regulatory perspective on stormwater issues were shared.
Part 1 on Tuesday, April 28th featured:
- Chris Kloss, Chief, Municipal Branch, Water Permits Division, U.S. EPA Office of Water
- Charles C. Glass, Ph.D., P.E., Deputy Secretary, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Additionally, Capitol Hill legislative staff from both sides of the aisle explained recent and pending legislation pertaining to stormwater:
- Jonathan R Pawlow, Esq., Senior Counsel, Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment, Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, U.S. House of Representatives
- Shannon Frede, Environmental Policy Counsel, Office of U.S. Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD)
Part 2 on Monday, May 4th featured:
- Mark S. Osler, Senior Advisor for Coastal Inundation and Resilience, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration;
- Sonia Brubaker, Director, Water Infrastructure and Resiliency Finance Center, U.S. EPA;
- Christopher D. Pomeroy, President, AquaLaw PLC;
- Steven Rowe, President and Chief Executive Officer, Newtrient LLC; and
- Jason R. Masoner, Research Hydrologist, U.S. Geological Survey Oklahoma-Texas Water Science Center.
For more information on Water Week 2020, visit www.waterweek.us
Questions? Email Rebecca Arvin-Colon at email@example.com.